• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip Report - Peru 2014
[-] The following 3 users Like Max's post:
  • Dash, Rick91, William
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
Trip Report - Peru 2014
I landed in Lima in the middle of the night expecting my friend to be there as his flight was supposed to be landed three hours earlier. Instead of cool re-union there is no one …no fucking sight of my buddy. OK, I thought he must have already got bored and got ‘creative’. After looking for all possible corners of ‘wtf happen’ scenarios, finally I arrived to conclusion that this trip will be done solo. Well another one solo excursion, I thought…

After ‘camping’ for 6 hours in the airport at 6 am– it was time to move on. Headed straight for the bus terminal and off to Huaraz. It was interesting to watch the landscape change from grey and sandy dunes of Lima to more green pastures and eventually arriving into mountains. As the bus started to climb higher and higher in the terrain, while watching the mountains emerge I got this uneasy feeling in my stomach of what the fuck you got yourself into this time?

The whole trip took more than 8 hours and I arrived in Huaraz by the end of the day. By the time I got to my hostel and I was ready to really ease up. Turn out that some chill crowd was there and after some socializing did hit the town to check out the night life. It was time to acclimatize as the town is approximately located on elevation of 3000 meters – so I did, spending the night partying, dancing and drinking. Let just say to keep the story short ..that night had a really good time.

Huaraz is somewhat laidback city in Ancash Region however offers some limited night venues. You can come across and meet some interesting folks just like I did. This place is a base town for expeditions and trekking into high mountains in Peru. Normally the high season is from June – August. If you thinking about party and girls only – then I would advise you save your time to other spots.
The next day I was able to check internet only to learn that after all my friend is still on his way. Turns out he arrived in the airport in Santo Domingo four hours before the plane departure to Lima and decided to go for a “beer”, by the time he got back to the check in counter it was too late….typical classic , so he got delayed by two days. That turnout fine since I got two days in Huaraz to kill before the start of the mountain trip, he finally made it and the following day we departed into Andes. It was time to sweat off all that beer from the system.

Mountains

Arrived in Cashapampa by late morning and from there on the mountain adventure has started. Spend first number of days doing Santa Cruz Trek in order to acclimatize and to gain some extra fitness. The Trek itself is fairly popular and offers great scenic views with the high point pass of Punta Union Pass 4,750 meters. It was first time for me to experience altitude beyond 4000 meters and this is generally the mark that in one way or another altitude will start to effect you. Things will start to get more difficult e.g. breathing and everything will require more physical effort in general. I have to say that it was not easy walk to get to the Punta Union Pass.

(BTW - I would recommend to do this trek in mid-May or early June as most of the vegetation is green – just at the end of wet season. You can organize yourself this trip on location in Huaraz, you can also rent most of the equipment, hire staff etc…)

After few days on the trek finally we transferred in the van for the main part of the expedition to climb “Nevado Pisco”. Arrived in Cebollapampa and did setup a camp in the afternoon. Nice spot and gateway for folks who are doing also day trek to Lagoon 69. The next day was demanding as we were gaining 1000 meters up in short, steep trek to Pisco Base Camp at elevation of 4,700 meters. Same routine followed – setup a camp etc. At this location there is a Refugio, where it was nice treat to have warm tea and enjoy few good moments without your hands getting cold. The weather for the most part was cloudy and it was raining and snowing however by the evening time the sky cleared and we got see our Target. Not sure if I was looking at the mountain or the mountain was looking down at us. It was a very special feeling. I am not sure how I can describe this. When you there You and the mountains become connected and what happens is somewhat mystic.

The next day was the final leg before the summit. We had to cross moraine to reach final camp. It was also difficult day as the crossing turnout to be physically demanding and technical at times. By the time I made it to the moraine camp – I was glad it was over. The weather was mainly ok throughout the day, but by the afternoon the clouds moved in quickly and conditions worsens. We were at approximately 4,900 meters and as soon as sun disappeared instantly felt cold. We ate our meal in the tent and spend the rest of the time getting ready with the gear for the summit attempt. Weather was not cooperating, I tried not to overthink too much – we agreed that we will give our best try.

Did not catch much sleep and at 2 am we woke-up …decided to wait a little as it was cloudy and windy ….after 40 minutes we made the call – we are going to climb. After another hour of passing rocks we got to the foot of the glacier, all I could see at night through the light of the lamp was the steep wall of ice (60%-70% grade) ahead. We did not talk much – everyone was in his own thoughts. You really are alone in mountains. It is you and the mountain only. Got our gear setup – put crampons, rope up and soon after we were on the glacier. The initial steep face eventually leveled off a little where climbing become easier and one could walk followed again by some short climbing sections. Our guide was leading and my buddy was behind me. The snow conditions were not best as my ice axe kept sinking in soft snow along with my boots from time to time. We moved slowly up and the altitude and effort started to take toll. Since we were all joined with rope, you could tell if other person is moving or not just by feeling the rope. In fact as we kept going up the weather started to worsen, at first some snow started to fall in, however soon after as we got more exposure on the ridge the wind has picked up significantly. In few short moments we found ourselves in blizzard like conditions with both snow and wind hitting us and visibility being reduced to few meters. We decided to turn back. We made it to approximately 5,300 meters mark with another 2 hours to go to reach the summit. I think it was the right decision, our Guide shared similar view.

On the way down we passed another team going up. (There were three other teams, two ahead of us and one that we have passed on the way down). We have learned later that day that no one has made the summit that day. We got back to moraine camp where we rested for 3 hours and then we continued down to cross the moraine rocks down to base camp. We could continue to descent – but decided to rest and enjoy small beer at the Refugio. Despite not making to the summit I felt good. I did my best and so did the others.

The next day we packed our camp and descended down to Cebollapampa and drove back to Huaraz. In Huaraz we celebrated at the hostel with some easy vibe folks (btw really cool place). Later the same evening we took bus back to Lima, arrived in the airport the following day and jump on the plane to Iquitos.

Iquitos and Jungle

Just one day and here we are in Iquitos and it is hot man ! Just two days ago we were freezing…

As soon as we exit the plane we got pulled by local police - narcotics squad and my buddy got searched. (After we learned that likely due the fact that our plane was making stop-over in Pucallpa).
After arriving in town – we hit the jungle the next day. It took us the full next day to get to remote place further 400 km deep into Amazon. We passed through some towns along e.g. Nauta, Requena. Lets just say interesting places. It was somewhat unreal but yes the next few days was only jungle, “Selva” has taken over completely.

For the next few days it was jungle life. ..Fish for piranhas, seen lots of wildlife, got intimate with mosquitos and other insect creatures, spend hours on the tiny boat, got stuck in the swamp, walk through primary forest etc. Met Cajman’s angry Mama during night excursion and some interesting local characters along. At the end the best was sleeping in the hammock and be part of this all.

We got back to Iquitos just for the weekend and I was ready to get loose after everything. So I did - end up partying straight three days in Iquitos. We end up meeting some local fellow who end up being good sport and show around hidden treasures and we end up having great ride. It was good time man ! By the fourth day – I had enough, it was time for recovery. My buddy followed similar path of self- destruction.

Iquitos – in summary is good place to hang around, specifically during the weekend. Mon-Wed venues are dead. Women are easy going and friendly and some of them attractive. Lots of motor taxis everywhere and major destination for folks looking for Ayahuasca experience.
Malecon – this area is full of bars and gringos. The local crew has daily setup there and some animations happens over the weekend. Good place to hang around during day time. It dies down around 11 pm and the action moves to Plaza de Armes area. On the weekends there are concerts (more like salsa bands) – do not remember the place but looks like some sort of hangar – but not far from the center. You can also party @ Belen Market – this is more hardcore. (do not fall into water or be eaten by “local sharks” hehehe, I packed my camp and left when started to get dark – I was rolling solo at that time.) Be also careful not to leave your drink unattended …
Overall Iquitos is fun but after few days the novelty wears off – you must have another reason to hang around in this town. For many guys this town is just a base and folks hang around for some time in the jungle or surrounding areas….

Lima
Final leg of the trip – upon arrival to Lima I end up getting sick and explored mainly toilets for two straight days. I did not stay long enough to develop solid opinion but here are my quick observations:

Lima – explored Miraflores – hectic and expensive and Barranco – more laidback but still not cheap. Did not feel like taking trips beyond these districts. I was just feeling tired at the end. Nightlife starts around midnight, but I did not engage in the nightlife extensively – was just not feeling up to. Lima did not impress me nor did the quality of women for city this size. Yes – you can meet attractive lady – but imo you can find only few and in between.
I do not like big cities in general – I tend to get tired with traffic and all the crowds running in all directions.

Conclusion:
If you planning trip to Peru – this country offers a lot. You can experience, mountains, jungle, diverse culture and meet great people. It is really up to you.

Mountains...

[Image: IMG_0020_zps791326bd.jpg]

Start of the Mountain Trip ..

[Image: IMG_0061_zpsf8391db3.jpg]

Punta Union Pass...

[Image: IMG_0084_zps508cef2f.jpg]

Llanganuco Valley

[Image: IMG_0111_zpsc6375b1d.jpg]

Our Mountain - or the other way around ? (Nevado Pisco) 5750 m
close up - looking from the main base camp

[Image: IMG_0125_zps4fc6cff0.jpg]

Final Camp - before the summit

[Image: IMG_0117_zps1c377b44.jpg]

just minutes before we got hit with bad weather..on the glacier

[Image: IMG_0123_zps637231c7.jpg]

by the time we got down from the glacier ..it was already daylight
Iquitos (Selva) Jungle

[Image: IMG_0214_zps4901f6e6.jpg]

warm rain while drinking beer on motor taxi @ Iquitos

[Image: IMG_0151_zps0d69467a.jpg]

Requena..interesting place in the middle of nowhere

[Image: IMG_0164_zps4887d916.jpg]

Selva rules and you do not matter there

[Image: IMG_0222_zpsad52681b.jpg]

Malecon - Iquitos - for those that like to take pictures..

[Image: IMG_0249_zpsa00e8bca.jpg]

hanging out in Barranco , Lima

few beers and the ocean
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM by Max.)
06-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
RE: Trip Report - Peru 2014
Peru is an epic place. Easy birds, cheap cocaine and a whole lot of adventure.
06-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
agreed !
(06-13-2014, 09:50 AM)Rick91 Wrote: Peru is an epic place. Easy birds, cheap cocaine and a whole lot of adventure.

06-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dash's post:
  • Max
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
I glanced it over and will read it in depth when i get a chance but could you throw in some cliffs.

Duration of Stay -
Trip Cost -
Highlight(s) of trip -
Number of closes -

Cheers! Awesome pics btw
06-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
Dash,

Duration of stay ? - I did stay one month, with everything that we did... it was somewhat intense and took toll on me at the same time. I would recommend more time ....
Could only take max 4 weeks off my schedule ....
2 weeks in the mountains
5 days in jungle and 5 days in Iquitos
with the rest in Lima (5 days Lima)

Highlight(s) of trip ? - it is difficult to bring specific highlights...just too many things happening....it was crazy intense ...
there are many stories untold....I just kind tried to summarize the scope.
Mountains are important to me..but same goes for adventure and and NN staff...many crazy stories...will tell perhaps more when decompress..although I am more old school - prefer to meet face to face over a drink....rather then type on keyboard...

Trip Cost ?

You can do cheap or expensive...I did more on the expensive site ...(because of lack of time, could not gamble few days to run after logistics) - the price for expedition can range on number of things..number of people ....what you want to do trekking or climbing ? what would like to have provided..etc...Simply if you have more time on your hands - you discover better options once on the ground ..however you need time to arrange ....for me it was primary trip, meaning I did not have specific clues. I can connect you with right and trusted people if you wish....in Huaraz o provide more specifics....depending what you would like to do ....

Jungle - it varies ...send pm if you serious and I will try to get you intel ....depending what you want to do ....Ayahuasca Trip or true jungle shit .

Number of closes ?

Lets just say - Iquitos....otherwise send me pm, although Huaraz worked well for me too (no logistics in place but that was my setup), Lima was not for me ..commercial shit and I was tired..so had no energy left in my body...

(06-13-2014, 10:32 AM)Dash Wrote: I glanced it over and will read it in depth when i get a chance but could you throw in some cliffs.

Trip Cost -

Number of closes -

Cheers! Awesome pics btw

06-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
bitchslayer Offline
Boatswain

I found Peru to be very cheap. Honestly was not impressed with the quality. Still a lot of fun though.

Better than Ecuador.
06-14-2014, 04:22 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Not that many proper hot chicks in Peru however a counter to that would be that the ones who are, are usually pretty receptive compared to others of similar quality in other regions of the world.

Guys who enjoy Peru the most are guys who like to fuck.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 04:41 AM by Rick91.)
06-14-2014, 04:38 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
bitchslayer Offline
Boatswain

(06-14-2014, 04:38 AM)Rick91 Wrote: Not that many proper hot chicks in Peru however a counter to that would be that the ones who are are usually pretty receptive compared to others of similar quality in other regions.

I found that true. Ecuadorians weren't really better at all but less receptive than in Peru.

COL was also I think better in Peru.
06-14-2014, 04:41 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Same can be said for Bolivia. Guys moaning about the situation in Peru are of a certain breed. The guys who like it are of another. You just need to figure out what kind of guy you are.
I'm not a whiner. I'm a slayer.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 04:46 AM by Rick91.)
06-14-2014, 04:45 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Congo Democratic Republic
I was there in 2007 or 2008 and stayed one month in the Amazon and did ayahuasca. Iquitos is a nice place! Peruvian girls are SUPER easy. So are Ecuadorians. I prefered Peru over Ecuador, but I've only seen Lima and the jungle, so. I had a hot gf in Lima and then a Shipibo girl in San Francisco near Pucalpa.
06-15-2014, 01:50 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rusty89's post:
  • Max
Rusty89 Offline
Stowaway

Great report. I'm going to South America this fall and planning on staying in Iquitos a few days and drink Ayahuasca.
06-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
William Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Apparently HIV has become an epidemic in Peru, this is a side effect of a promiscuous population! Keep it wrapped up guys!

This map shows the leading cause of death in each country, in Peru it's HIV/AIDS:
http://www.salon.com/2014/06/15/which_di...y_partner/
06-17-2014, 05:48 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
That's mad. Chicks seemed pretty keen on condom use out of the 21 I fucked. I did like 2 raw I think.

I see Thailand is in the red as well which isn't surprising with the ladyboys. They are actually the greatest threat for spreading it as the dudes fucking them are fucking chicks as well spreading it to the pure hetero population.

Wear a condom for anal. If you do just 1 thing wear a condom for anal.
06-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
Ayahuasca ?! ...make sure you do not over pay ..it is big business there coming out from gringos..the best is not to pre-arrange ahead, just go there and explore

send pm - perhaps I can provide some intel ..Nescio also went...

(06-15-2014, 02:11 PM)Rusty89 Wrote: Great report. I'm going to South America this fall and planning on staying in Iquitos a few days and drink Ayahuasca.

06-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Find Reply