• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambodia info- experiences
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Cambodia info- experiences
I think I'm going to head there in January for 3 months anyone got any info or opinions on the place?

Is it similar to thailand in terms of shoring or is it harder in line with vietnam?

Best city to base oneself?

Budget/food/long term rental.

Any info appreciated will do research later but just in case we had any cambodia veterans on the forum.
12-20-2014, 01:42 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Comrade's post:
  • Max, Rick91
Comrade Offline
Boatswain

RE: Cambodia info- experiences
I don't know about shoring but lays can come in some unexpected places. I got with the cleaner of my hotel in Battambang (which by the way is my favorite place in Cambodia), discretion is key. I've heard rent is about 200-300 USD a month in Battambang. It's a cool small little town with a very chilling vibe.

If you go to Phnom Penh you can stay at the White Rabbit Hostel for a bit and talk to the owners about apartments. One guy is from NZ the other guy is American and they can help you get situated in PP. Plus there are some apartments near there that are for rent. If I remember correctly I remember seeing apartments for rent along Monivong Boulevard which is not too far from there

Another place you may want to consider is Sihanoukville. Beach town. Otres beach is the best. There is a good expat community there in Sihanoukville that can help you out with finding apartments. What ever you do, DON'T stay at Utopia Guesthouse because they got a serious bedbug problem. I then went to the doctor to get it looked at. Turns out the doctor were fake doctors who were not even Cambodian, they were Vietnamese and they ripped me off for 100 USD by telling me I had some weird ass disease and sold me all these pills I didn't need.

Koh Rong Island is just a 5-10 USD ferry ride from Sihanoukville and is a good place to escape for a bit. PM if you want to hear more about that experience.

12-20-2014, 01:55 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash3 Offline
Lieutenant

Cant imagine anyone staying longer than 2 weeks in Cambodia.

No normal nightlife.

No online options.

Ugliest girls in SEA.

12-20-2014, 03:06 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Can I bring back girls to white rabbit hostel?
12-20-2014, 03:36 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Have a look-
http://swooptheworld.com/category/reviews/cambodia/

Whole Country sounds like the Wild Wild West.
12-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
priceless comment hahaha +1 for real life experience

"Turns out the doctor were fake doctors who were not even Cambodian, they were Vietnamese and they ripped me off for 100 USD by telling me I had some weird ass disease and sold me all these pills I didn't need. "

(12-20-2014, 01:55 AM)Comrade Wrote: I don't know about shoring but lays can come in some unexpected places. I got with the cleaner of my hotel in Battambang (which by the way is my favorite place in Cambodia), discretion is key. I've heard rent is about 200-300 USD a month in Battambang. It's a cool small little town with a very chilling vibe.

If you go to Phnom Penh you can stay at the White Rabbit Hostel for a bit and talk to the owners about apartments. One guy is from NZ the other guy is American and they can help you get situated in PP. Plus there are some apartments near there that are for rent. If I remember correctly I remember seeing apartments for rent along Monivong Boulevard which is not too far from there

Another place you may want to consider is Sihanoukville. Beach town. Otres beach is the best. There is a good expat community there in Sihanoukville that can help you out with finding apartments. What ever you do, DON'T stay at Utopia Guesthouse because they got a serious bedbug problem. I then went to the doctor to get it looked at. Turns out the doctor were fake doctors who were not even Cambodian, they were Vietnamese and they ripped me off for 100 USD by telling me I had some weird ass disease and sold me all these pills I didn't need.

Koh Rong Island is just a 5-10 USD ferry ride from Sihanoukville and is a good place to escape for a bit. PM if you want to hear more about that experience.

12-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Comrade Offline
Boatswain

lol imagine being in a foreign third world country, being told by a doctor who can barely speak English, telling you that you have a disease you have never heard about, hahaha I got taken fora fool BUT I got some life experience out of it as you said.
I am not sure about bringing girls back to White Rabbit Hostel. Never tried. Maybe if you get a single room and slip the security guard a 20 and be super discreet about it.
When I was on Koh Rong Island I was approached by this Danish girl to help with a search and rescue party for a 55 year old American woman who had been missing for a few days. The next day we split up into two teams, me with these two Israeli guys and the other team was a mix of different nationalities and some local Khmai's.

We hiked all throughout that island which has some very poisonous snakes and some treacherous terrain. Then we got a call, the other team found the body. We went to where the body was. I didn't go close to the body but I could see the leg and smell it. The girl who found the body said she was naked, hands tied behind her back, blindfolded and gagged.

Kinda ruined my island vibe after that. The Khmai newspapers ended up calling it a suicide. Yeah cause she was depressed and she killed herself by getting naked and fucking tying herself up.

The island people were pretty shaken up about it and even started bringing food up to the dead body to start a ceremony so her spirit could have food on the way to the spirit world. Khmai's are very superstitious.

At the time of the murder, there was lot's of construction happening on the island. So lots of thievery and other crime going on. The way it works in Cambodia is the construction companies go around and pick up all the skids, freaks, pedophiles, and other scumbag pieces of shits who nobody else wants and they pay them like 3 USD's a day to work for them. That's who I suspect murdered her. The construction workers. The island people are super peace loving people.

In fact, the Cambodians in general are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Just don't fuck with them. Cause they take a lot of shit from their own government, the Vietnamese, and Thailand, they are not going to take shit from a tourist. Not saying any of you would but just a friendly warning.

I could talk to you at length about Cambodian politics but I don't think that's what this thread is asking.

Please don't let the above story muddy your view of Cambodia. There is bad shit anywhere you go.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 09:22 PM by Comrade.)
12-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
bobashabiniu Offline
Banned

that island which has some very poisonous snakes and some treacherous terrain. Then we got a call, the other team found the body. We went to where the body was. I didn't go close to the body but I could see the leg and smell it. The girl who found the body said she was naked, hands tied behind her back, blindfolded and gagged
12-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Thats mental. Im surprised there's not far more violence, murders and rapes going on given their history. They must just be naturally very nice people which probably explains why the genocide occurred with little resistance.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 10:13 PM by Rick91.)
12-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Comrade Offline
Boatswain

There is quite a bit of violence in Cambodia, but it usually involved politics, gang activity, drugs, booze etc. If you come here and use your common sense, learn a bit of the language, you will be fine. I been to areas of Cambodia with no running water or electricity, nice people. You will be surprised how many of them can actually speak English.

As for the genocide, nobody really knew what those guys were about except for a few. They were seen as a force of good because for the first time in centuries the Khmer Rougue was putting emphasis on Cambodian nationalism and wanted to strengthen the Khmai national identity. How they went about doing that was the genocide we all know about.
12-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Find Reply