• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible route's out of shit- Teaching english in Spain
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Possible route's out of shit- Teaching english in Spain
I'm going mental stuck here at home and If I was to move into and get an ordinary job in the city I would barely be able to save £300 a month and my job would likely be mind-numbingly shit. I would have a better social life but I would likely be stuck in that position for years.

After some research I'm considering doing a TEFL and heading to Spain. I would be getting paid more than I would make here and could likely have a decent social life and smash the closest thing we have to latina pussy in Europe on the regular.

I'm considering this due to it being one of the only places where a decent amount of jobs do not require you to have a degree and having a TEFL will suffice. The online course count's for 120 hours. The recommended amount for actually getting jobs.

Apparently Barcelona and Madrid have the biggest job markets. Pay ranges at the early stages between 13-18 euros an hour. I hear most people go into freelancing and it's ranges are 18-25 euros an hour. I'v also heard prices are quite liveable at the moment.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this? Am I looking at something very naively here and missing something? Should I just give it all up and become a drug mule or a soldier?
07-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
RE: Possible route's out of shit- Teaching english in Spain
My sister teachers english in barcelona freelance. Its definitely doable I cant remember how she did it though I think she just figured it out when she was there didnt do any courses.
07-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I likely will do the TEFL just wondering if it's worth doing the one in class in person or overall does it make any difference. Your supposed to get higher pay with a TEFL.
07-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
Rick,

You need to iron out a feasible long term plan imo.
07-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I'm wanting to travel next few years. I reckon this is best bet.
As for long term your right but it doesn't overly concern me. I will likely have quite a substantial inheritance. My mums only like 17 years older than me so it's not something I'm really relying on or planning my life around. However at the same time though it gives me some freedom to not really give too much of a shit.

By around age 27 I will take more on board what your saying but I still have a lot of exploring and slaying that needs dealt with before I get serious.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2014, 12:21 AM by Rick91.)
07-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 2 users Like 007 Game's post:
  • bangtidy, deb auchery
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
go to Elance, start offering "editing" work as a native English speaker. Open another account, post a job, award it to yourself and give yourself high rating. To this 5 times from 5 accounts (use different credit cards, pay yourself, you'll lose some but it's worth it).

Once you have 5 good reviews, you'd get work on the regular I imagine. Then you can keep doing it while tarveling. Look around elance and see what you can offer people there. Sales copy, data entry, remote customer service ....... doing live chat for websites. You want to be location independent, that's your first priority.
07-04-2014, 01:24 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
bangtidy Offline
Deckhand

when i lived in prague some of my mates worked a telesales job instead of doing tefl. this was the place: http://www.theiconadvantage.com/

i'd agree with the others though - get location independent income
07-04-2014, 03:42 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Congo Democratic Republic
How can Spain pay better than Oz? Even a waitress in Australia earns more than an average person in Western-Europe. I really don't believe those figures. Salaries in Spain are really low and around 800 - 1000 euro a month after taxes. 50 percent of young people are unemployed and people are being evicted on a daily base and eating from garbage cans because of the crisis.
07-04-2014, 05:38 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vance's post:
  • Broon
Vance Offline
Deckhand

Brand yourself as a an English teacher who focuses on business communication. People only make an effort to learn English to make themselves more competitive in the labour market, so they'll be more inclined to contract your services if they believe you can offer them more specific skills. Surprisingly few freelance English teachers focus on a niche and it baffles me why they don't. You can charge more and go straight into freelance, provided that you can sell yourself as knowledgable in the world of business communication. In a recession people may even be more inclined to pay for something that will give them an edge in the job market. I met a guy doing exactly this in Panama City and he was killing it and he didn't have a website, a degree, TEFL or much business knowledge. His only marketing was bush league paper posters on bulletins and lampposts. around the wealthy areas.

Not guaranteed to work but I reckon it's your best shot.
07-04-2014, 06:04 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Sexiback Offline
Lieutenant

Rick...
Are you an english teacher?
Have you ever taught anyone anything in your lifetime?
Do you know enough about the language structure and grammar to be able to explain it plausably to foreign speakers?

No, alright, how about you either learn to be a teacher the right way or don't cheat people out of their hard earned money by giving them poor quality service.

Ricky, you're what 22 now? Learn a proper profession and put your back into it. This is the time to do it. You're young and have the energy.

What is wrong with you guys? Is it such a big ask making an earnest living? Dash moaning about 6 hours of work that involves standing up. Now this?

Van... you're such a bullshitter. Look at the kind of deceptive shit you come up with. Not that I'm surprised.

Fucking telesales, that's the guys who harrass regular hard working people during their much earned off time at home.
07-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
bangtidy Offline
Deckhand

(07-04-2014, 06:46 AM)Sexyback Wrote: Rick...
Are you an english teacher?
Have you ever taught anyone anything in your lifetime?
Do you know enough about the language structure and grammar to be able to explain it plausably to foreign speakers?

No, alright, how about you either learn to be a teacher the right way or don't cheat people out of their hard earned money by giving them poor quality service.

Ricky, you're what 22 now? Learn a proper profession and put your back into it. This is the time to do it. You're young and have the energy.

What is wrong with you guys? Is it such a big ask making an earnest living? Dash moaning about 6 hours of work that involves standing up. Now this?

Van... you're such a bullshitter. Look at the kind of deceptive shit you come up with. Not that I'm surprised.

Fucking telesales, that's the guys who harrass regular hard working people during their much earned off time at home.

if you enjoy working a 9-5 office job - then there is nothing wrong with at all. but it's not for everyone. having a job and having a boss was depressing for me.

07-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
@sexyback, I did say I was going to do the TEFL course I imagine that would qualify you enough for a start. In their eyes it does that's good enough for me.

Spain pays good because maybe people are finally figuring out english is pretty important. 22% of the country speak english. That is all.

I was actually pretty surprised at the pay figures. Before tax you can expect to earn 1000-1350 euros or so they claim. I could earn, save more and live a better lifestyle than I could in Scotland. I hear rent and partying come pretty cheap if you know where to go.

Plus I want to learn Spanish. I'm planning 3 massive trips to Asia/Africa and the Americas and I want to be able to save in an environment I enjoy. I think I'm going to go for it.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2014, 07:43 AM by Rick91.)
07-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Sexiback Offline
Lieutenant

That's what I'm saying, if you want to do it, do the course and do it right. Have a little bit of pride and ambition in what you do.

Bang, if having a job was depressing, there's something wrong with you.

What Van suggested is real sleazyball behaviour, as is selling stuff you know is crap, whether to business or customer.
07-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Congo Democratic Republic
I'm a teacher and teaching is NOT easy. It's not because you speak a language you're also able to teach it.
07-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
(07-04-2014, 03:37 PM)Sexyback Wrote: What Van suggested is real sleazyball behaviour, as is selling stuff you know is crap, whether to business or customer.

LOL, you're such a nerd, no wonder you don't get laid.

Once Rick would start offering services he would have to do a good job, or he'll start receiving negative reviews. People eventually get what they deserve, but there's no harm in helping yourself out as you start.

Rick, you could also bid real low at first, to get a few jobs / reviews under your belt and regular customers, then take the price up slowly.

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2014, 05:37 PM by 007 Game.)
07-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Find Reply