Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUIDE - How to get a Day Skipper licence the most effective way possible
[-] The following 3 users Like 007 Game's post:
  • Max, nescio, Zolo
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
Information  GUIDE - How to get a Day Skipper licence the most effective way possible
I'm a skipper. We sailed from Gibraltar to Ceuta (Spanish territory on the coast of Africa) and then Smir in Morocco and back to Gibraltar, the course was 5 days long.

GUIDE - HOW TO GET YOUR DAY SKIPPER LICENCE THE MOST ECONOMICAL & BEST WAY:

In theory you could learn sailing alone but there's a lot of both practical and theory material to master to be able to sail safely. Also, you want to get a certificate so you can charter yachts from companies around the world.

I went with a RYA (Royal Yachting Association) because it's widely recognized and much more serious than the ASA (American Sailing Association) where you can get certified in just a few days.

Sailing is something that requires a lot of practice, in operating the yacht, knowing your winds, how to set up the sails, recognizing sea conditions etc. It is highly dangerous to operate a yacht without proper knowledge, you could drop the yacht's boom on someone's head, go into sea in bad conditions or not knowing that it will turn bad, run the yacht on rocks, run into other vessels, hit other yachts when mooring, drift into shore while anchoring someplace etc.

There are also many electrical and mechanical systems on the yacht, the operation of VHF radio (in some countries like Croatia you must be certified for that to, so I did a VHF course), emergency situations, etc. So you need to be guided and you need practice. I'm planning on doing a diesel engine course as well (one day).

Most "courses" are expensive and are always advertised as being longer than they really are. So a 7 days course is actually 4.5 days, a 5 days course will actually be 3.5 etc and there are usually many other students so your actual time of practice is reduced further.

But in order to get certified you do need to take a "course" under a RYA school. I did a "private" (3 students only) course so I did get a lot of practice. BUT - the 3rd person on the yacht was on a Yachtmaster 14 weeks long course (Yachtmaster is a more advanced certificate than Day Skipper), it was her 10th week in, but she wasn't any better in sailing than me or my friend, due to the above reasons (short time at sea, many students on board), and the course had cost her 10,000 POUNDS. (HOLY SHIT)

So, what do you do? What's the best, most economical and fastest way to obtain a certificate?

The best way is to find a certified RYA instructor, who can teach you and certify you, and then HIRE HIM DIRECTLY to teach you for a whole week.

This way you get maximum time learning and you can also tell the teacher what you want to consecrate on and where you'd like to sail. Full flexibility.

You'd probably want to do this with 1-2 extra friends because the operation of the yacht requires more than two people and to reduce costs. Still, you'd pay about the same amount as a 5 days course but you'd sail 2 extra days and will have much more flexibility. (note- you will still need to do the RYA Theory course thru a school, but that's something you can do online and must do anyway).

So once you find your instructor, you email RYA schools in the area you want to sail and write them that you have your own teacher, and that you want to charter thru them a yacht for 7 days, and for them to certify you with your instructor as a guide.

Many schools will agree to this, I've found several schools who agreed but didn't go this route because I didn't have enough time to organize it. Looking back, I should have, although I did get enough practice, mainly because in the 2nd day I spoke with my instructor and convinced him to cancel a long passage so we could concentrate on more drills and mooring practice.

Because I still have "only" three weeks of sailing under my belt, before I charter a yacht next summer for 1-2 weeks and bring my friends/family on board, I'm planning to hire a private instructor and take him alone with me for 1 more week of additional sailing and ONLY practice and do drills. That's absolutory the fastest way to get competent enough to take a yacht on your own safely. If you sign up for a "mile builder" with some company / sailing school, the price will almost be the same but you'd get 1/10th of the time on the helm.

One more thing to remember, you want to get a Tidal certificate so you can sail in tidal water and not only in sea. The tidal theory material is a pain in the ass but fun to learn and very practical. You must know this in order to calculate correctly your course to steer and not end up stuck on sand somewhere because you're on low water (or hit rocks and go under)

Happy sailing
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 08:24 PM by 007 Game.)
07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Comrade Offline
Boatswain

RE: GUIDE - How to get a Day Skipper licence the most effective way possible
I get sea sick lol
07-23-2014, 12:17 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
bangtidy Offline
Deckhand

can you drink booze when you skipper or is it illegal? can see how it would be cool to invite girls from the marina bars on to the yacht for a cocaine n champagne party - Dan Blizerin styleee.
07-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan

It is illegal to drink while sailing but in the marina it's fine. Sea sickness is something that the body gets used to deal with, after a few days you'd learn to handle it. But it can come and go any time, especially if you're hangover, with little sleep, or low sugar level.

Here's a short video I made of a pod of dolphins we encountered:

07-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
again good staff 007 !
08-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Find Reply