• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guy pays $80 USD a month for studio apt in Chiang Mai
[-]
  •
pygmalion2 Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Guy pays $80 USD a month for studio apt in Chiang Mai
just came across another blogger, lol. He does freelance graphic design in CM apparently. He gives a tour of his apartment in this video, paying only $80 a month.

Christ. It's pretty damn decent.

Is Thailand really going to shit now for farang? I'm kind of thinking of heading over there now if this is the norm there.
02-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
RE: Guy pays $80 USD a month for studio apt in Chiang Mai
Not a good time to go to CM right now...

Burning season is starting up. The air is near unbreathable.
02-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Alex Offline
Lieutenant

Poland
Try Vietnam. I don't know why anyone would choose Thailand over VN anymore (apart from girls and food) when the government is clearly trying to push out as many whiteys as possible.

Vietnam is cheaper and is becoming more stable and prosperous. Thailand is going the other way, and the big thing in the next two years could blow the lid off the whole place.
02-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

Pretty sure VN ain't cheaper. From what I've seen online, you can get more for your money in Bangkok compared to Saigon. I've heard of studios in BKK running 200 while a studio in Saigon will run like 350. Also, think the food is cheaper also, especially if you like meat. I don't recall any good sized protein dishes costing 1 or 2 dollars in Saigon.

At least that's been my impression

02-27-2016, 02:01 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Alex Offline
Lieutenant

Poland
Oh I agree with the food. The food is one of the reasons to stay in TH imo.

In terms of apartments you can get a nice studio in a new building for 5000 baht - but I've only ever seen those out in the suburbs or maybe in Bearing, right at the end of the BTS line. Around Asok/Sukhumvit Most studios I've seen run between 12000 and 20000 THB.

Didn't realise VN was that expensive though. Is that 350 for a studio in a new building, decent pool/gym in district 1?
02-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
The trouble is VN doesn't have the tourist infrastructure that Thailand has.

The $80 flats are there, but you'd have to speak Vietnamese to find those deals. Or have a viet girlfriend.

Everything I've read shows VN to be significantly cheaper across the board though, with the possible exception of housing. But the visa situation is way better, and you're going to save doing less runs.

Bangkok can be pretty expensive if you like the nightlife. It's not really a bargain any more imo..
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 04:44 PM by SpecialEd.)
02-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
pygmalion2 Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(02-27-2016, 01:38 PM)Alex Wrote: Try Vietnam. I don't know why anyone would choose Thailand over VN anymore (apart from girls and food) when the government is clearly trying to push out as many whiteys as possible.

Vietnam is cheaper and is becoming more stable and prosperous. Thailand is going the other way, and the big thing in the next two years could blow the lid off the whole place.

What's the situation there like now? Are average Thais noticeably treating you worse these days? You said you teach there if I recall, right?

When are you jumping ship and heading to VN?

I imagine second tier cities in VN being the same price as Chiang Mai, so I guess cost is not a problem. Da Nang, for example. Are those cities livable though?
02-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Alex Offline
Lieutenant

Poland
(02-27-2016, 08:19 PM)pygmalion2 Wrote:
(02-27-2016, 01:38 PM)Alex Wrote: Try Vietnam. I don't know why anyone would choose Thailand over VN anymore (apart from girls and food) when the government is clearly trying to push out as many whiteys as possible.

What's the situation there like now? Are average Thais noticeably treating you worse these days? You said you teach there if I recall, right?

When are you jumping ship and heading to VN?

I imagine second tier cities in VN being the same price as Chiang Mai, so I guess cost is not a problem. Da Nang, for example. Are those cities livable though?

Nah Thais are still ok with me, it's just the constant barrage of news stories, tv reports and internet posts about kicking out foreigners. I can actually get a work permit but it costs so much, and if I leave before a year is up I have to pay back the difference (no way I can last another year) and the new visa regime is a massive pain in the ass.

And Like I said, once "the thing" happens (better safe than sorry) this country could very well explode. Even a Thai student asked me the other day why I came here, and said if she were me she would go to another Asian country like Malaysia or Vietnam.

I'm in THL until May/June and then leaving. I'm going back to the UK and going back to my old job for a couple of months - it's boring but I will be severely lacking in funds and can't turn down £200 a day. Come September/October I will either be back out to Asia or heading to Europe to do a Master's (waiting for my applications to come back now).

I get a lot of postings on fb teaching groups for jobs in Halong (about $1300 a month for 70hrs) and have seen some for Danang and Saigon too. I'd imagine that the T2 cities are definitely liveable but will be less lively than, for example, Chiang Mai.
02-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nomadphilippines Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
i feel like thais are the rudest people ive met in asia by a wide margin
avid follower of this site that helps you find girls anywhere: http://guysnightlife.com
friends blog: http://nomadphilippines.com/

02-28-2016, 07:07 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

Cheapest ive seen for a studio like dwelling in D1 Saigon is 250. That is a clean decent looking place with it's own bathroom. Utilities, internet, and laundry free. I am gonna aim to find something like this.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2016, 01:13 PM by Dash Global.)
02-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
pygmalion2 Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
I've been reading a few various sites that say it's fairly easy to land an ESL job in Nam hitting the pavement. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

Only problem is, would I like Saigon? I hear the pace of life there can get as irritating as china, and the people can be a pain in the ass. Plus motor bikes everywhere.

Also, I want to build a safety net asap, should the economy go to shit in the coming year(s). I know I wouldn't be making much there.
02-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpecialEd's post:
  • TideRide
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(02-29-2016, 11:08 AM)pygmalion2 Wrote: I've been reading a few various sites that say it's fairly easy to land an ESL job in Nam hitting the pavement. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

Only problem is, would I like Saigon? I hear the pace of life there can get as irritating as china, and the people can be a pain in the ass. Plus motor bikes everywhere.

Also, I want to build a safety net asap, should the economy go to shit in the coming year(s). I know I wouldn't be making much there.

I don't think ESL teaching, and safety nets can be used in the same sentence.Big Grin

If I were you, I'd go to Nam and get a part-time job to pay the bills. Meanwhile work on getting something going online. There's a big group of entrepreneurs in Saigon, called dynamic circle. I'd network with them.
02-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

(02-29-2016, 11:08 AM)pygmalion2 Wrote: I've been reading a few various sites that say it's fairly easy to land an ESL job in Nam hitting the pavement. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

What things do you need to "like" a place?

I hear the Vietnamese are much more pleasant than Chinese.

02-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
calamansi Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
I can only speak for my own experience in Hanoi but the place kinda drove me nuts. Language barrier was a big part of that, I suppose, but holy fuck the motorcycle touts will make you insane with their incessant pestering. I had a guy that saw me go in and out of my apartment driveway every day, and every day he would ask me if I want a motorcycle. In fact, not every day, every TIME I walked past him. Never said yes but that never stopped him. Best part? He didn't just ask on my way out. He asked on my way in too. Yes, true. You can't go 10 meters without being hassled. Another thing is, instead of just saying "motorcycle?", a lot of touts will say "hey!" I can ignore "motorcycle?" but it takes a while to ignore "hey!"

And being charged literally 5 to 10 times more for stuff gets on your nerves too. No all us whiteys have money to throw away so no, I don't take the stance that "well we have so much more than them and it's only a buck more".

The girls are not easy and require quite a few dates and probably commitment before you really get anywhere.

Virtually no nightlife that I could see. The whole city shuts down at 11pm or 12am. The one night I went out to a club, it was closed before I got there. Never found out why as it had great reviews and the info on the net said they were open late.

HCMC might be totally different but I can't see the appeal of parking my ass in Hanoi for very long. Worth a visit, yes. I'm fine with just about anything for the sake of traveling. Things are different everywhere and that's what's cool about it. But live there? I can't think of one reason why I would want to except that things are relatively cheap.

But if cheap is what you want there's Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines to choose from.

And this one is up to personal taste I guess but I keep seeing everyone go on and on about how hot VN girls are. I didn't think so at all. Yes, there were some hotties but not in the droves some blogs make it sound like. My head turned a LOT more in Japan and I can find just as many cuties that I'd be happy to bang in the Phils. I fail to understand the intense appeal regarding the girls. I hung out with a few. They weren't all that conversationally either (another thing I keep reading about). I think the reason some guys find VN girls to be so much "smarter" than Phils girls is because everyone in VN is educated whereas like 80% of Phils girls never went past high school and that's who your average traveler ends up hanging out with. Find a woman with a brain in the Phils and the VN chick is no better.

One thing I thought was awesome was all the girls on scooters in their short skirts and skin-tight dresses. They look great in that clothes even when the girl herself isn't all that. I wish girls in the Phils dressed better.

I need to go back. I don't like having this opinion. And I'm aware enough to know that maybe if my budget wasn't so fucking tight I would have had a much better time and met better people and not stressed about shit so much, bringing my overall mood down. But next time I'll try HCMC.
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 06:38 PM by calamansi.)
02-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
fucksong Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
(02-29-2016, 06:36 PM)calamansi Wrote: One thing I thought was awesome was all the girls on scooters in their short skirts and skin-tight dresses. They look great in that clothes even when the girl herself isn't all that. I wish girls in the Phils dressed better.

Bro, you just sold me. Were average lengths above knee, up to ass cheek level or still conservative below the knee?

That's one thing I love about East Asia (Japan and Korea) is higher numbers of short skirt fashion. Minor detail but def makes a lot of chicks more fuckable if they have a nice ass and legs
Kaizen (Continuous Improvement) My personal journey of improving myself as a man and finding happiness

https://kaizenmanofsteel.wordpress.com
03-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Find Reply