St-Petersburg - Chisinau
[-]
  •
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
St-Petersburg - Chisinau
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about travelling and I had this Idea: Helsinki - St-Petersburg - Talinn - Riga - Vilnius - Minsk - Kiev - Odessa - Chisinau.

I know you must have a visa for Russia. What is your opinion on this trip? Any advice or comment? 

I'm at the brainstorming stage.

Thanks,

Cheers,

John
07-31-2017, 05:03 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
RE: St-Petersburg - Chisinau
Sounds like a great trip. I wouldn't finish in Chisinau though. A huge anti-climax.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
07-31-2017, 10:58 PM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
(07-31-2017, 10:58 PM)Zolo Wrote: Sounds like a great trip. I wouldn't finish in Chisinau though. A huge anti-climax.

Thanks, Mark. Hahaha. I'll remember that. 

What about the visas?
08-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Edmaster's post:
  • brianmark, John Doe, Zolo
Edmaster Offline
Deckhand

France
Hi man,

No visas needed if you are a EU citizen (except for Russia) but your passport is required (ID card alone is not enough at least in Ukraine and Moldova).
For Belarus you have a 5 visa free day to visit if you belong to this list of countries : Here 

Here is my opinion about the place i have personally visited :

Helsinki :
Pros :
People are very friendly.
Chicks are probably the easiest in Europe (i found them even easier than swedish and Norwegian) 
The city is very safe (almost no crime or corruption) 

Cons : 
The city is a bit isolated. 
Not many exciting activities. 

Tallinn :
Pros : 
Nice city with a beautiful old town.
The chicks are friendly and hot and relatively easy. 
Every nightclub are within 5 minutes walk so you can really easily bounce from one to another.

Cons : 
A bit small so you tend to come across the same people when you walk in the city.

Notes : i wrote about my experience here

Riga : 
Pros : 
Beautiful old town. 
Very cheap even in the best area of the city. 
Chicks are hot but less friendly than in Tallinn. 

Cons : 
Most of the bars and club in the old town are filled with foreigner.
Some people have reported some scams there (i didn't encounter any).

Vilnus : 
Pros :
No tourists.
Good amount of young girls and little competition. 
Nice old town. 

Cons : 
Very small so you can visit it in one day.

Kiev : (i am there when i am writing this message) 
Pros : 
Very feminine girls (model style) each time you look somewhere. Probably the most beautiful girls on the planet. 
Very cheap for a westerner. 

Cons : 
Low english level.
Food quality is low. 
Some people (the older generation mainly) tend to be disagreeable with foreigner (don't take personally).

Notes : stay at least 2 weeks there because Ukrainian chicks take time to wram up.

Chisinau : 
Pros : 
No tourists so you have a huge foreigner value. 
Girls are beautiful.
Most nightclubs are very close from each other in the center of the city.

Cons : 
it feels like traveling back to the 90's (old nokia, cars...)
The city is mostly a shithole and very isolated from other cities.
English is low. 

Note : take the buse to Tiraspol it's about 2 euros and a fun experience. Chicks are hot there too. 
I personally didn't encountered any problems there but some people have. 

I will write some data sheets in the future. 
If you need further informations on each of those cities PM me Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017, 01:01 AM by Edmaster.)
08-08-2017, 12:49 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
Hello Edmaster,

Wow. Just wow. That's exactly the kind of info I like. I love eastern Europe also for the 70's-90's vibe. I like history, the cold war, etc. For me it's exotic. So this is going to be fun. 

Let's stay in touch. I'll definitely PM you. Thank you very much.

Cheers,

John.
08-14-2017, 02:16 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
Great info mate!
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
08-14-2017, 10:15 PM
Website Find Reply
[-] The following 2 users Like MotherRussia's post:
  • brianmark, John Doe
MotherRussia Offline
Boatswain

Greetings,

For starters, what is the aim of your trip? Knowing this could be the difference between me suggesting Chisinau and recommending you to not go.

Secondly, you can actually visit Saint Petersburg visa free for 72 hours via Saint Peter Line Ferry from Tallinn or Helsinki. It sure is a little pricier than the $20-25 price tag of a bus, but if you don't plan on staying in SPb for more than 3 days, you could go this route. However, if you plan on going to SPb for less than 3 days then I recommend you not going at all.

I've been to every place on your list and everything is going to fall well short of your time in Saint Petersburg. Nothing else can compare in my honest opinion. From nightlife, women, and attractions I'd rank SPb number 1, by far. Weather and food are a big blow, however.

Let me know when you plan on coming and I can meet up with you potentially.

I have to agree with much of what EdMaster wrote, with a few exceptions and additional notes.

Helsinki is terribly boring and super expensive. I went there with my girlfriend so I wasn't actively trying to pick up chicks, but I can tell you that it would be an expensive process.

Tallinn, hmm I always feel like I am the only one who holds this opinion, but I think the Estonian women are some of the least attractive in Europe. Two of the guys I know who lived there say they are fantastic, but theyre both uglier than those dogs with the smushed in face and one of the guys thinks his "5" rated GF is a dime.....so take that with a grain of salt.

But, don't fret. there are still a great bunch of Russian women there to choose from. It's an incredibly boring place. You can walk all of old town in 30 minutes and you won't encounter a single store or restaurant designed for locals....One of the most touristy, gimmicky places I've been too. Some of my friend who used to live there have moved onto other areas of Estonia and seem to be enjoying it much more now.

Riga - I like me some Riga!! You definitely get more of a Russian feel here than anywhere else in the baltics. Not only are the Russian women here hot, but the Latvian women aren't too bad either. Cool markets and beaches all around. Certainly a more lively and upbeat place compared to Vilnius or Tallinn. Old town at night is quite touristy, but still the nightlife is better here than in Helinski, Tallinn, or Vilnius.

Vilnius - Boring and I felt it was the least developed of the 3 Baltic capitals. Your time would be better spent visiting the college town of Kaunas.

Kiev - This is where I disagree with EdMaster. Obviously, the food is terrible but the attractiveness of their women in Kiev does not even compare to that of Russias.  I've been in Kiev and Odessa for a total of 2 months on 2 occasions. Yes, women can take a little while to wrap up, but that doesn't go for every women. If they are taking too long, then just move on. I had a few days on our first meetings. Also, their English is going to be better than Russians, Belorussians, and Moldovans

Additionally, I think Ukrainians are probably on par with Polish girls. The quality and quanity of hot girls is simply much more in Russia compared to Ukraine. I'd say that Ukrainian chicks are behind  Russians, Belorussians, Romanians, and Moldovans.

Chisinau was incredibly boring, however I was only there for a 2 nights awaiting my departure flight back to the U.S. I took a train from Odessa and no one checked my passport, which makes sense given that you go through Transnistria. Also, I didn't go there but many people who went to Tirasopol said it wasn't any more interesting than Chisinau. Honestly, the most popular thing in Chisinau was their McDonalds. The girls were incredible and everything was just stupidly cheap.

Minsk, you don't need a visa here if you FLY into Minsk and you can't fly from Russia, because of the Belorussian and Russian Union (no border checks and flights are considered domestic). So it might put it out of reach for you if you need to get a visa, though they did recently lower the price. Definitely worth a visit. It's said to be the most Stalinistic city. It's true what they say about it being very clean and the women are sensational. English is quite bad If you have time, definitely try to get Romania on your list. My time I spent in COnstanta/Mamaia Beach was fantastic

I don't know the aim of your trip, but SPb - Minsk - Odessa would be a much better time. Cutting out all the boring, useless places and getting right to the good stuff.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2017, 02:31 AM by MotherRussia.)
08-21-2017, 02:26 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
Hello MotherRussia,

Thank you very much for your recommendations, I appreciate it a lot!

The goal of my trip is discovery/recon. I want to get a feel of the countries/culture by going through the capitals of these countries. So, I'm not "on the hunt" if you want. But of course one of my goals is to see where are the women who are the most aligned with my tastes. So I would say: Culture, History and Women if things happen. I won't be as active this time in meeting them.

In my last trip (Blonde tour 2016), I found out that I loved Dutch and Polish women. Their looks and vibe. I kind of already was sure of it, though. On the contrary I was quite disappointed with Romanian women of Bucharest. I'll go back, but to Cluj, Iasi and Sibiu. Another time. 

Swedish women are also beautiful but their culture might be too similar to the Swiss culture in a way that they're quite individualistic and reserved. I like the individualistic part, but not the reserved part. That's what I like in Polish and Dutch women, maybe. I think they're quite authentic/direct. I have to give Sweden (Stockholm, Malmö) and Romania (Cluj, Sibiu, Iasi) a 2nd shot. 

And also the social engineering in Gothenburg is interesting: impressive but frightening at the same time. And I like Czech women. 

These are massive generalizations, of course. 

Cheers.

PS: There are no boring places to me. My mindset is : there is always something to learn, someone to meet, something to do. Worst case scenario: Rest is available.
08-25-2017, 10:04 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes MotherRussia's post:
  • brianmark
MotherRussia Offline
Boatswain

I mean, if you like Dutch, Swedish, Czech women it's a very safe bet that you're going to like women the further east you go. Polish and Czechs are slavs. In the former Yugoslavia, they're slavs. Former USSR, they're Slavs. They're all going to have similar looks and personalities with little variance.

What do you mean by culture? What interests you the most...art? Music? Theatre? Vibrant history?

Saint Petersburg is home to the Mariinskiy Theatre and one of the best museums in the world (hermitage), Odessa has those awesome Potemekin (sp?) steps, famous opera house, and dangerous catacombs. Minsk is where you go when you want to see the ideal Stalinist architecture. Riga had some outdoor theatre stuff and a nice indoor theatre. Tallinn and Helsinki were just boring af. Kiev, compared to most other places in eastern europe was pretty miserable.

If you want culture, then go to the former Yugoslavia. When I was in Bosnia and Herzegovina I was able to see some of the crazy Yugoslavia monuments (http://www.cracktwo.com/2011/04/25-aband...-look.html) as well as visit Tito's hidden bunker. Also, Sarajevo has an extremely rich history and is quite charming. So many places to go and see in the region...Mostar, Dubrovnik, Pltivice, Kravice, Kotor, Budva, Jajce...I can name many more....

Women are also amazing (much better than Dutch, better than Swedish, Czech, imo). They're like most slavs anywhere else in EE but they're a bit more reserved.
09-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes John Doe's post:
  • brianmark
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
Hey man, thanks for the advice, I like it.

When you say "Women are also amazing", you're talking about Sarajevo? or former Yugoslavia in general? Croatia, etc. I'm curious to know more!

By culture I mean the habits, customs, beliefs, body language, food of people. The "Program" of a country, social norms+language+food+history if you want. I'm more interested into what preoccupies people, how they see the World, themselves, their country, etc. How is the economy in the country, what are the challenges of the society, etc. What food do they eat on what occasions, what relationship they have with their grand-parents and their past. How is the dynamic of city-countryside in the country, what music is popular, what are the important celebrations, etc.

The day-to-day life if you want. 

Then, I'm interested a lot about the History. How come the country is like it is today? How people view the past of the country? What is the current narrative of the history? So I love History museums.

After that, I love contemporary art: paintings, sculpture, video etc. I like (Neo-)impressionism, art nouveau, etc. 

So I always love to visit a "Classical art" and "Contemporary art" museum. I also love the architecture, so walking around is enough for me. 

That's what I focus on, culture: Everyday people, Contemporary art, Food, History and Architecture. 

From there, I'm always curious about the music: the current bands, the national music, etc.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 12:54 AM by John Doe.)
09-07-2017, 12:54 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
(09-07-2017, 12:54 AM)John Doe Wrote: Hey man, thanks for the advice, I like it.

When you say "Women are also amazing", you're talking about Sarajevo? or former Yugoslavia in general? Croatia, etc. I'm curious to know more!

Quote: ideal Stalinist architecture

I love this, that's one of my favorite thing in ex-USSR countries. I loved this in Romania. Even though this shows the madness of the people who chose this. 

By culture I mean the habits, customs, beliefs, body language, food of people. The "Program" of a country, social norms+language+food+history if you want. I'm more interested into what preoccupies people, how they see the World, themselves, their country, etc. How is the economy in the country, what are the challenges of the society, etc. What food do they eat on what occasions, what relationship they have with their grand-parents and their past. How is the dynamic of city-countryside in the country, what music is popular, what are the important celebrations, etc.

The day-to-day life if you want. 

Then, I'm interested a lot about the History. How come the country is like it is today? How people view the past of the country? What is the current narrative of the history? So I love History museums.

After that, I love contemporary art: paintings, sculpture, video etc. I like (Neo-)impressionism, art nouveau, etc. 

So I always love to visit a "Classical art" and "Contemporary art" museum. I also love the architecture, so walking around is enough for me. 

That's what I focus on, culture: Everyday people, Contemporary art, Food, History and Architecture. 

From there, I'm always curious about the music: the current bands, the national music, etc.
I fucked up, I posted twice: I just added something about the stalinist architecture.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 12:57 AM by John Doe.)
09-07-2017, 12:56 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
Ok guys. I decided this trip is real now. 

Based on your feed-back, here are my modifications: 

- Start: Odessa
- Finish: St-Petersburg
- Removed: Helsinki --> too expensive for my current budget, I learned from my trip last year: wasted too much money in Sweden. Yes, wasted: accomodation and booze.
- Removed: Chisinau --> for a future trip when I'll go to Cluj and Iasi in a Balkan tour. As I said, I don't care if there is not much to do. I'm really excited by post-communism country. The "shittiest", the more exotic to me. Not in a pervert way, but in a "WTF happened here?" way. I learn a lot about history from what these people are going through.

So now this is more: Odessa-St-Petersburg, going through Kiev, Minsk, Vilnius, Riga and Tallinn.

6 countries for 4 weeks is more than enough. This time I won't insist on being on the WE in each city. I was too much focussed on women last time. This time, I'm going to use time during the day to advance on my purpose (projects) and visit in the afternoon, going out at night. 

I am going to read again your comments and hit you guys up: Zolo, MotherRussia and Edmaster. Much appreciated. I'm always open to more feed-back if you guys have any more advice.

For the visas, I'll see what I can do in the time I have (1 week) before leaving. Otherwise, I'll skip Minsk. I misread your post MotherRussia, I see it's possible to use the ferry.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017, 05:42 AM by John Doe.)
09-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Find Reply