Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Top 4 ways to freedom
[-]
  •
gavinmadden Offline
Gunner

Top 4 ways to freedom
People always seem to be envious of the life I live. They use the words "Jealous" or the phrase "You're so lucky". I, however don't see it as luck, I just choose to avoid the following:

1. Buy a house

Paying off a mortgage for 20 years doesn't exactly sound like fun to me. Your grandparents did this and your parent most likely did this also, but it doesn't make it right. People save to buy houses because they want stability, but stability directly affects your freedom. Buying a house will limit you to be in one part of the world for at least 90% of the year and with repayments you can hardly afford, there is nothing left to have fun with.

The only logical reason I would ever buy a house would be to sell it five years later for a profit. I would use these profits for travel, but this means I would be home for a high percentage of the those 5 years paying the mortgage, thus the reason I am yet to buy an investment property.

I haven't met many homeowners that do anything more than work in a job they dislike to pay off a house they don't necessarily need.

2. Start your career early

You potentially have 40 years of full time employment ahead of you, why would you bother rushing into that?

Why make the decision of what you want to do for the rest of your life in your 20's?

Coming straight out of high school I had no idea what I wanted to do and was amazed at the fact that people were enrolling in courses they may not even want to do at the end of their 3-4 year course. You change a lot in those first years out of high school so I decided I wouldn't go to university because I had to, it would be because I wanted to. I'm still yet to go to university and I seem to be having a lot more fun than most of the people I know.

Your career can wait, your youth cannot.

3. Girlfriends

I don't see myself settling down until i'm in my 30's so I see no reason to tie myself down with a girlfriend.

You will rarely find a 'taken man' that enjoys the same freedom as a bachelor. Having a girlfriend makes it twice as hard to find the freedom that anyone can have. Not only is traveling with a girlfriend one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life, it also made me resent her. I saw how much fun all the single backpackers were having and I felt as though I was missing out on something special. Then again, you will always have the 1 in 10 couple that have just as much fun so I mean this in a general sense.

4. Listen to what other people think you should do

Having to listen to what other people think you should do is something people deal with day in day out. I reserve taking advice from people who are doing or have already done something I really want to do. Not from people who think that just because they can't do it, you can't do it either.

If someone says you can't do something, it's probably because they don't have the energy, guts or drive to do it themselves.

Don't be a victim of the 'School-Work-Marriage-House-Baby-Work-Work-Work-DIE' attitude that a lot of people still have. Do whatever the fuck you want!

- Gavin Madden

Sex. Travel. Freedom.
To visit my blog go to : http://www.gavinmadden26.com
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013, 09:12 PM by gavinmadden.)
01-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Ryan Offline
Boatswain

United Kingdom
RE: Top 4 ways to freedom
I agree with point 1, but not point 2, your SMV is at your prime in your 30s, work your 20s hard, gaining knowledge and money and try to get location and financial independence in that time to enjoy those 30s.

Agree with 3 and 4, good post
01-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mixx's post:
  • Rick91
Mixx Offline
Jedi-Master Mixx

Afghanistan
(01-08-2013, 09:08 PM)gavinmadden Wrote: I don't see myself settling down until i'm in my 30's so I see no reason to tie myself down with a girlfriend.

Take it from me kid, I'm 38 (look 27), and settling down in your 30's is the worst fucking thing you will ever do as a successful man. Be a player well into your mid-50's - and then "settle down" with a a humble, 18 year old village girl in a place like Honduras or Romania Wink

The only guys who settle down in their 30's (marriage or just living together) are the ones who get pressured into it because all of their single friends from their 20's are doing it or have done it, or never really are successful outside of their jobs. Guys who "settle down" are also the ones who cannot sustain keeping themselves in fantastic physical shape to attract women, and start slippin' on their game (or are already fat and refuse to get back in shape).

A guy with fantastic options in all angles of his life, is never looking to settle down. Why should he....for love?...please. ** I never understood why young, pro athletes, celebs get married, and then sodomized in divorce court - dumb-asses!

Which brings me to my next gripe. What the fuck does everyone mean by "settling down" settle down from what?.......settle down from my spectacular life full of financial freedom, health, world travel, a steady rotation of foreign women in my bed....hummmm :/ - damn, what a miserable life that must be....I better settle-down, and get rid of that miserable lifestyle with one woman who will love-me "unconditionally".

** THE ONLY TIME A MAN SHOULD EVER GET MARRIED/SETTLE DOWN IS WHEN THE WOMAN HAS 5X MORE ASSETS AND NET WORTH THAN YOU HAVE! i.e you have 200,000USD CASH she better have 1,000,000USD in cash or better - THEN, GET MARRIED YOU FOOL!

My .02 as a (successful) man well into his 30's..

Mixx
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 04:07 AM by Mixx.)
01-09-2013, 03:49 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Realness's post:
  • Dash
The Realness Offline
Lieutenant

here is my 0.02 for your points:

1. Agreed. But only while you're traveling. Some people want to do it their whole life, and i will touch on that shortly...

2. Disagree. Unless you're rich with daddys money, you need a career or a way to make money. Otherwise you can't afford to travel. The earlier you start a job (aka career aka making money) the better off you will be later in life.

3. Agreed. It's too easy to tell yourself you will have a temporary girlfriend then get emotionally attached to a point where you can't break up with her and you see that affecting your life decisions (such as travel: you lose that freedom)

4. Agree 100% percent. 9 out of 10 people try to bring your dreams down like that.

The biggest thought that i have about all this is feasibility: you guys make it sound black and white. Fuck everything and do what you want to do, aka travel and fuck hot chicks. But the biggest thing to think about is the future. When you're 50 its too late (unless you're Mixx and you get a 18 year old Romanian village girl haha)...Future consists of finances and asking yourself how you want your life structured when you're older (kids, etc). If you have money, you're halfway there. But if you want kids, it will inevitably take away at least half of your freedom. There's a question of marriage (unless you plan to do some kind of no strings attached deal). Theres then a question of spending time with your wife/kid? Few women will stay married to you if all you do you all the time. Another thing is you don't want to be 50 when your kid is born you will be 65 when kid is 15.... So as you can see, it all ties in together.

I encourage A LOT of traveling but there comes a time in your 20's when you gotta stop, figure out how you want your life to be when you're 50, and plan accordingly. Sacrifices need to be made either way. A true pimp is one who can find a balance among all these things

01-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
My .02 cent

1) Buying a home

I disagree. Ideally you should purchase a home and rent it out. ie Have other people pay off the mortgage while also maybe making a profit each month.

I am doing this after my first year of teaching in International Schools. Will save up and drop a down payment on a house and rent it out while I am living abroad for the next 5-10 years.

2) Starting Your Career Early

I agree to an extent. You are right about people not knowing what they want to do when they are young with no real world experiences. I think this comes down to individual circumstances. Like if you plan to get married / have kids, what type of job / career you will have.

Take me for example, had I known about the joys of traveling and International Teaching when I was 18 or 19 I would have graduated a year early (20ish) and would have spent the last 7 years teaching abroad in Asia and the Middle East stacking paper. By 30 I would be almost ready to semi retire.

Now if I was gonna have a normal 9-5 in the US and wanted a family and kids, id def want to travel and have fun during my 20's. Career can wait in that scenario as when I get 30 it will be time to settle down and start a family. No more trips to Latin America to smash hot poon.

3) Girlfriends

I def agree that a man should spend atleast 5 - 8 solid years of the single bachelor life. Preferably one spent traveling the world and slaying exotic poon.

I too plan to settle down in my early 30's as I want a family and kids while also not be an old ass dad. So I need to have my kids by around 35/36.

4) Listening to what other people thing you should do

Depends on who is giving you advice.

Quote:I encourage A LOT of traveling but there comes a time in your 20's when you gotta stop, figure out how you want your life to be when you're 50, and plan accordingly. Sacrifices need to be made either way. A true pimp is one who can find a balance among all these things

This is wisdom my friends. You got to hopefully atleast by 25-26 figure out what you want out of life and how to obtain it. Unless your lucky sacrifices will need to be made. Balance in life is the key!

01-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Angus Young Offline
Gunner

agree with Dash about the house bit... if i had of brought a house in my early 20's (i avoided it for the same reasons as u) i would be extremely ell off and financially free now. massive regrets

u buy a house and rent it out...someone else pays it off while u do what u want. so u want a location where it will always be rented
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(01-09-2013, 05:19 PM)Angus Young Wrote: agree with Dash about the house bit... if i had of brought a house in my early 20's (i avoided it for the same reasons as u) i would be extremely ell off and financially free now. massive regrets

u buy a house and rent it out...someone else pays it off while u do what u want. so u want a location where it will always be rented

University and big military towns are prime spots imo
01-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
gavinmadden Offline
Gunner

ENJOY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlIWLwQlCso
Sex. Travel. Freedom.
01-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
Same as Mixx. Wait till you're 30, then you'll realize that it's too young as well. I have no plans on settling down until I'm 45 or older.

About the house - no reason to buy one. Make money, invest it wisely, you'll make more than what you'll make on your house + you're not tied down to a single location. If you live in one location then I see the point but if you want to be really free then a house some place doesn't make sense unless you KNOW you want to live there. If you're buying the house as an investment - as I said there are other better ones.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM by 007 Game.)
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
houses are generally long term investments unless you have the capital to buy a house for cash with having most the rent go straight to the bank.

I am looking to give this a go in Cartagena Colombia. Get my cut of the sex trade! lol
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Mirage Offline
Gunner

Avoid property and any fixed location assets at all costs in western countries.

The US, EU, UK, Aus etc are going to be looking at some serious tax reform in the near future and that tax reform is going to have to involve the taxation of assets that are difficult to move offshore (Land tax is by far the most likely). I know the Aus gov have looked into this recently and it is politically popular, a very bad combination for property investors.

I'm with rockingforever on the idea of making a solid source of income online, especially now that tax rates are on the rapid increase. You are highly mobile and can easily get away with paying no tax, you have instant access to global markets (billions of customers) and can make use of ultra low cost labor when necessary.
01-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
Most people just dont have the wherewithal to make substantial income online.

01-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
gavinmadden Offline
Gunner

Agreed. There are so many other things you can invest your money in that don't tie you down and compromise your freedom.
Sex. Travel. Freedom.
01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
^^ True but those generally require much more skill to pull off. (Online biz, stocks, ect)

Doesnt get much easier than buying a property and pocketing the rent money.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM by Dash.)
01-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Mirage Offline
Gunner

I would recommend property management over ownership or property options if you have the insight and enough capital for a deposit.

You will comfortably take 8 - 12% of the properties income in management fees, you could have a property management business profitable within 3 months and $30k usd depending on where you want to operate from. 10 managements and you are already making the same money as the owner of one, minus the risk, interest payments and all the rest of the ownership problems (including taxation).

On the flip side you could start playing with options with sub $20k. If you know what you are doing it is an absolute gold mine. The average investor is an idiot and if you can think outside of the square there is plenty you can do to add quick value and flip property for good profits.
01-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Find Reply