Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching ESOL and TEFL (English as a foreign language)
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

RE: Teaching ESOL and TEFL (English as a foreign language)
Quote:It looks promising its hard to know what the chances are of getting a job after you do the course. Thats the bad part giving away all that money with getting any returns. looks fairly legit though...

The company gives you a guaranteed job placement after the course.
02-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
FDuckleford Offline
Gunner

(02-05-2013, 11:58 PM)Nix0 Wrote: Grab a CELTA certificate if you can. There is a lot of places in Auckland that do it. Normally its about 4 - 6 weeks and costs around 3k. Once you have this, you can pretty much get a well paying teaching job anywhere.

I dont teach but I'm a branch manager at a language school in Baku so I end up hanging around with a lot of foreign teachers.

Generally for Central and Eastern Europe you dont really need any qualifications but having them means you can opt for a higher salary.

For Asia, there are a lot of fully paid (flights included) English Teaching jobs in Japan and South Korea for NZ citizens.

How did you end up in that job?

P.S. Kiwis make ~20% less than Americans for public school, ~9% less for non public school in Korea.

They don't receive their pension benefits and have to pay Korean taxes.
02-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Misery Offline
Deckhand

Azerbaijan
(02-06-2013, 12:20 AM)Dash Wrote: I wouldnt do a CELTA unless you where gonna teach ESL for 3-5+ years.

Korea you wont need one if you go there.

Actually yeah Dash is right on that. Only grab it if you want to make a career out of it for a few years

Haha, yeah being American does have advantages in Korea.

I was doing an internship at the school in their study abroad department and in 2 months the owner took a liking to me and offered me my own branch to manage till my original contract expires. Been 6 months now 6 more to go.

02-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
FDuckleford Offline
Gunner

No. And tall foreigners are not gods in Korea.
02-06-2013, 02:14 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(02-06-2013, 02:14 AM)FDuckleford Wrote: No. And tall foreigners are not gods in Korea.

The only Gods in Korea are the rich and the ones that look like Kpop singers.
02-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Broon Offline
Lieutenant

(02-05-2013, 11:15 AM)deb auchery Wrote: Broon I think teaching English overseas when you graduate is a great idea, especially with the jobs market in the UK. I wish I had done that when I was younger instead of doing some soul-destroying office work.

I'm already looking into it as I can't stand the thought of hanging around Edinburgh longer than I have to post May/June this year. Hopefully being in Europe with the Czechs may provide me with a better chance of getting a job rather than going through turmoil some other guys have noted.

Korea and the Far East hold little interest for me, but I would consider heading there to teach in the future. The idea of working in Eastern Europe being juxtaposed amongst multi Slavic states packed with sassy women more than makes up what's lost in financial gain.
02-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

What sort of money do you get paid for TEFL jobs in most of Eastern Europe? Asia tends to pay relatively well. Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan and Vietnam can all pay high wages compared to the cost of living, is it the same in EE?
02-06-2013, 05:51 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
fallenmanifesto Offline
Le mystérieux sombre

Venezuela
(02-05-2013, 11:58 PM)Nix0 Wrote: Grab a CELTA certificate if you can. There is a lot of places in Auckland that do it. Normally its about 4 - 6 weeks and costs around 3k. Once you have this, you can pretty much get a well paying teaching job anywhere.

Generally for Central and Eastern Europe you dont really need any qualifications but having them means you can opt for a higher salary.

For Asia, there are a lot of fully paid (flights included) English Teaching jobs in Japan and South Korea for NZ citizens.

Cheers for the info, i am surely going to look into this, i am so keen to teach for at least 3-4 years oversas and become fluent in a foreign language like Russian in the process, do you know whether internships overseas are offered through the course providers aswell?

And also what countries in Central/Eastern Europe are in high demand for teachers?
02-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Loy Offline
Deckhand

I've been looking into teaching the same thing, English as a Foreign Language, perhaps I'll even do the same with Spanish, since I'm 100% fluent on both. As far as I've seen, CELTA certifications are the most widely accepted, I'm actually planning on taking the course in april, the cost is aroung 3k USD in the US. I'll be aiming for Eastern Europe as well, at least for a while, I hope it's worth it.
By the way, no one seemed to have mentioned it, but is it necessary to speak Russian in order to get the job? If so, I'll have to start picking up on that.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2013, 11:44 AM by Loy.)
02-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
fallenmanifesto Offline
Le mystérieux sombre

Venezuela
(02-06-2013, 11:17 AM)Loy Wrote: By the way, no one seemed to have mentioned it, but is it necessary to speak Russian in order to get the job? If so, I'll have to start picking up on that.

No from what i have heard that isn't a requirement
02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Loy Offline
Deckhand

(02-06-2013, 01:06 PM)blacknight Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 11:17 AM)Loy Wrote: By the way, no one seemed to have mentioned it, but is it necessary to speak Russian in order to get the job? If so, I'll have to start picking up on that.

Heh, should be interesting teaching english to russian speakers without knowing russian. Let's hope it's just like that.
02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Usually they prefer you DON'T speak the local language and that all lessons are done in English so the students are always learning. If you speak their language it would become too easy just to start talking in it and they never learn.
02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Misery Offline
Deckhand

Azerbaijan
(02-06-2013, 01:43 PM)Loy Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 01:06 PM)blacknight Wrote:

Heh, should be interesting teaching english to russian speakers without knowing russian. Let's hope it's just like that.

You def dont need any Russian. Half the teachers here dont speak a word of Azerbaijani or Russian.

Umm most of the demand is centered around the Central area like Hungary and Poland, though there is quite a high demand in Ukraine as well.
02-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Loy Offline
Deckhand

(02-06-2013, 11:25 PM)Nix0 Wrote: You def dont need any Russian. Half the teachers here dont speak a word of Azerbaijani or Russian.

Umm most of the demand is centered around the Central area like Hungary and Poland, though there is quite a high demand in Ukraine as well.

That's good to know, I won't have to pressure myself with another language then. Although I would definitely prefer Ukraine. By the way, Nix, where do you live? Do you teach English?
02-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Misery's post:
  • fallenmanifesto
Misery Offline
Deckhand

Azerbaijan
Im living in Azerbaijan at the moment.

No I dont teach. I manage a branch of an Language school in AZ.

Its not a bad idea to learn some russian. Nothing works better than surprising a girl here with a few well placed russian words or sentences.
02-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Find Reply