Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do so many rfers emphasize weight lifting over cardio?
[-]
  •
Ruxman Offline
Deckhand

Australia
RE: why do so many rfers emphasize weight lifting over cardio?
Depends on how active your lifestyle is, my work is hands on half the time and have other hobbies that keep me active like skateboarding and I also walk a lot. Daygame is actually a good workout, the fact that your mind is active makes you forget about how much you're walking and it also distracts from boredom eating, If I daygame in the afternoon a sandwich will fill me up. Low intensity cardio is also a great fat burner, for the days you aren't working out.

I find that I do enough cardio to just do weight when I'm at the gym. Though I am aiming to increase muscle right now and come spring (in southern hemisphere) will start to make my diet more clean perhaps do some sprints/jogging to get a little ripped.
04-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Website Find Reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Zolo's post:
  • Greatest Gatsby, MasterClasses, mistersnort, Rick91
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
The reason for this is a pretty obvious if you do a little research. The best bet is to combine the two. But lifting ensures you either retain or build muscle regardless on whether you want to loose wight or gain weight. Plus, more muscle fuels your metabolism.

I think young men like us need to look at calisthenics more though. Chin-ups, pulls up, muscle ups and dips give you a very masculine and attractive physique. AND you don't need a gym memberships. I encourage guys to check out Barstars. I only getting into it and already notice a big difference.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013, 04:13 AM by Zolo.)
04-18-2013, 04:12 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
PlanetOzzy Offline
Lieutenant

United States
(04-18-2013, 04:12 AM)Zolo Wrote: The reason for this is a pretty obvious if you do a little research. The best bet is to combine the two. But lifting ensures you either retain or build muscle regardless on whether you want to loose wight or gain weight. Plus, more muscle fuels your metabolism.

I think young men like us need to look at calisthenics more though. Chin-ups, pulls up, muscle ups and dips give you a very masculine and attractive physique. AND you don't need a gym memberships. I encourage guys to check out Barstars. I only getting into it and already notice a big difference.

Are you still doing stronglifts? And yea calisthenics is a great way to build muscle. I mean that's how how our ancestors built muscle-no equipment. Look at monkeys and other apes- all they do is climb and they're freakishly strong. But at some point you will probably want to do weighted calisthenics. I'm just starting to do dips and they're so freaking hard but I heard that you progress fast on those.

Look at that physique lol! Nothing but bananas!

[Image: silverback_gorilla.jpg]
04-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Greatest Gatsby Offline
Banned

Canada
(04-18-2013, 04:12 AM)Zolo Wrote: The reason for this is a pretty obvious if you do a little research. The best bet is to combine the two. But lifting ensures you either retain or build muscle regardless on whether you want to loose wight or gain weight. Plus, more muscle fuels your metabolism.

^ this man knows what he speaks of

get yourself a machine at your house for pull ups and you are set to go
04-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Ruxman Offline
Deckhand

Australia
Yep, Once I could get to 10-12 dips/pullups started throwing a 5kg dumbell in between my legs, feels like works a lot of muscles.
04-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
MasterClasses Offline
Deckhand

Interesting debate. The "Skinny fat" definition definitely made pushed me to work out again, try to sleep more and eat less.

Sleeping to little makes me eat to much and ineffective. There is a portuguese say: "Good rest is half nutrition".

I just rediscovered how effective and affordable jump roping is, instead wishlisting a treadmill that most use as a cloth hanger. The rope is easily put away (mine was for... 8 or 9 years in a drawer). But that Barstarzz techique can compensate for the cardio... cool.

A rope for some cardio, and some push ups, damned I wish I would not get bored so easily. Back in Lisbon, the poshy health club was a great place to meet game. Unfortunately, of course, they were portuguese, no success and only made male friends LOL. But at least it was a good panorama.
04-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
mistersnort Offline
Banned

LOL, I think the real challenge is food, from what I've seen everyone with a 6 pack is obsessed with eating proper food. If you get your body fat down, eat 6 meals a day (basically make the meal once and break it into 6) you are supposedly suppose to speed up your metabolism significantly, more than could be achieved by fasting. It looked like some skinny fat is caused by eating too little. That is someone eats 1 or 2 times a day and their body goes into starvation mode and once it gets food it automatically stores it as fat! I think that is the difference between being thin and cut vs being thin with a 6 pack.
04-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Find Reply